MITCH WOODS - Gumbo Blues (Vizztone)


When I saw this CD, I had to hear it. It spoke to me "Gumbo Blues." Sounds tasty and delightful. I listened to it before I read the insert as I always do. I liked what I heard, but wondered why all covers.


I then read: "a Tribute to Smiley Lewis and the Pioneers of New Orleans Rhythm and Blues." I then just kicked back and let this CD take me on a journey back in time. Most songs were written by Dave Bartholomew. The style, if you're not familiar, is a bouncing, kicky beat, similar to "Roomful of Blues." It includes "Blue Monday," a Fats Domino hit. I love the Fat Man, and wondered why more people don't cover his stuff.  There is not a song on this CD that won't get you on up your feet, dancing the night away. This Cd is simply a lot of fun. If you fall asleep listening to it-check your pulse! 
~Don Vecchio