CD: HOMEMADE JAMZ - Pay Me No Mind


Some of you may know a bit about Homemade Jamz. Many consider them a "cute" or "amusing" act. They are all young (Kyle 17, Ryan 15 and Taya 11) and the guitar and bass are made of mufflers. They came in 2nd in the IBCs in Memphis in 2007.
The first time we saw them, we were at Pittsburgh Blues Fest in 2008. I had told my wife about them and she was interested. I took off from our BSWPA booth and headed to the stage when I knew they were scheduled. They started playing and I loved it. My wife found me during their third song and asked me "when are those kids going to play?" I gently moved her head to the stage and her jaw dropped. "Wow, I wasn't expecting anything like that." Little Taya, the drummer, was 9 at the time. You could barely see the top of her head, but she played like a pro. That's how most feel after actually hearing them and not just ABOUT them. They are for real! Their new CD, "I Got Blues For You," is full of great tunes from beginning to end. My favorites are "Rumors" and "Roots" which both feature 'Papa' Renaud Perry's harp.  While Renaud stays in the background on stage and off, he is very much a large part of their success. He writes the songs and plays a great harp.  If you see them in concert, you most likely won't see him- he says on the side of the stage and keeps the focus on the kids.

Other fine tunes on the CD include: "Heaven Lost an Angel," "Hard-Headed Woman" and the title tune, "I Got Blues for You." ...Some good lyrics and just a wonderful beat that keeps on coming. I highly recommend this CD to Blues fans young and old.
~ Don Vecchio