CD Review - Sean Carney Band

Live Blues On Whyte


I am honored to do this CD review. I wondered what I could say about this great band that has not been said before. The CD was recorded live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada during the week of February 19 - 24, 2007.Steve Perakis was unable to make this particular trip to Canada for the recording. The band brought on board a greatly talented Blues artist in Graham Guest on piano and Hammond B3 and Chris Brzezicki on an Ampeg Baby Bass. Add to this Sean’s great guitar and vocal range and one of my favorite drummers, Eric Blume. A quartet playing six of the Sean Carney Band originals (that I know and love) brings a new twist to the music:

Track No. Title
2  It’s My Life Baby (Bland/Roby)
3  All These Worries (Sean Carney/Eric Blume)
4  Why Do You Lie (Sean Carney/Eric Blume)
9  Life Of Ease (Sean Carney/Eric Blume)
10  What Can I Say (Sean Carney/Eric Blume)
11  Bad Side Baby (Sean Carney/Eric Blume)

The covers of Willie Dixon’s songs would make him smile down from upstairs:
5 29 Ways
8 Too Many Cooks

There are two songs we could all identify with sometime in our life - I sure do:
6 Call My Job (Emery “Detroit Junior” Williams)
7 Money’s Getting Cheaper (Jimmy Witherspoon)

I wish I could have been in Edmonton in that audience! However, I was in the audience at The Orpheum Theater in Memphis, TN for the 23rd Annual International Blues Challenge in 2007. On that evening the original Sean Carney Band consisting of Sean, Eric Blume, and Steve Perakis took the band honors. Sean also took home the Albert King Award for outstanding guitarist. That was my first encounter with the band and I have some funny stories – ask and I will share them. They are all gentlemen and never fail to entertain every audience. NOTE: To purchase this CD and learn more about this band go their website www.seancarneyband.com Enjoy this CD as much as I have since Sean gave it to me in Marietta, OH at the Adelphia opening. ~Miss Ella, Sister To The Blues