We told her..."Give Up Your Day Job!"

She was beautiful, enthusiastic and engaging. Yes, that described the woman standing on the sidelines that night. We were at the 2008 International Blues Challenge (IBC) at BB King's on Beale Street in Memphis, Tennessee. Imagine my surprise when she was called to the stage as a contestant to represent the Toronto Blues Society! Her name: Shakura S'Aida (pronounced Shack oora Sigh eeda). Before starting her set, she quietly and quickly swept across the stage to each of her band members. She hugged each one tightly and then whispered something into each one's ear. Each nodded and hugged her back. It was an unexpected, inspirational and heartfelt gesture. She then turned to the audience, flashed that big smile and unleashed a set of songs that packed a big whollap! She commanded every inch of that stage and easily won over the audience. The buzz on the streets afterwards was: 'did you hear Shakura S'Aida?' (The next evening, the second day of the preliminary competition...the venue was so packed with curious blues fans that many had to be turned away.)


...and the second place winner of the 2008 International Blues Challenge...Shakura S'Aida. Over 161 bands from around the world had competed. Her performance was riveting. Her voice was intriguingly emotional and powerful. The blue fans' approval resounded around the Orpheum Theater.


I was seated with Shakura's parents at one Blues Foundation event and had the chance to learn more about the woman that possessed that amazing voice. Shakura was born in New York, grew up in Switzerland and has been in Canada for the last twenty years. Her parents proudly stated: "We told her to give up her day job." At their insistence and with their support, Shakura followed her dreams. Her "new path" has led to her being named Toronto Blues Society Blues Vocalist of the Year in 2004, 2005, 2008 and 2009 and the Maple Blues Society Entertainer of the year in 2008. Her first CD, Blueprint, was a collection of 1940's and 1950's blues. (The CD was a sellout during the IBC.) Her "big" win in Memphis led to her being included in the 2008 Blues Caravan with Debora Coleman.


It has been three years since that eventful weekend in Memphis. Her words about "giving up her day job:"
... I knew that something special was about to happen, but never, never in my wildest dreams, did I ever imagine the most phenomenal ride of my life…


here's what all of that hard work brought with it: one little blueprint CD = 2nd Place at the International Blues Challenge, 3 Blues Nominations, 5 European tours that included 10 Countries that love and appreciate Blues, 25 years of experiences (good, bad, and ugly), thousands of cd's sold, thousands and thousands of amazing fans and supporters all over the world, 51,289 smiles of pure joy that have passed my face, 45,987 tears of gratitude, joy, and appreciation ....and 2,908,452 drops of sweat.


Shakura will be appearing at the Heritage Music Fest in Wheeling, WV (August 13, 14, 15). Shakura S'Aida is one act that you should put on your calendar! Be prepared for a big sound that is overwhelming. ~Look for her latest CD, Brown Sugar.

AFTERNOTE: I asked her what she whispered into each person's ear. Looking me directly in the eyes and smiling, she quietly said, "I wanted to thank them for getting me there. It was them...all them. The band believed in me more than I believed in myself. They gave up everything to get me here. I could not have done it myself. I owe it all to them."


~ Jonnye Weber