CD REVIEW: FROM THE ROOT

Zac Harmon
Northern Blues Music

Every so often, someone new comes about that just knocks you out. I heard a song or two from this man, but that was it. I sat and listened to the CD, "From the Root," and was blown away. What a talent! For those of you as clueless as me about Zac, he won the 2004 IBCs in Memphis. He was voted Best New Artist on XM radio awards in 2006 .

Now, to the present! We get a lot of music to review for our newsletter and can only choose 5 at the most to do each issue. It would be a crime to omit this CD.  I liked about every tune on the CD. Those who have read my reviews before know that after talent, the most important thing for a CD and the artist to have is 'versatility.' If you heard one song a day from this, you would think that you were listening to a different artist each time . From delta blues, 'Man Is Not Meant to Be Alone,' to Reggae, 'That's What a Woman Needs,' to R & B, "Smile on Your Face" and 'Price of Loving You' (a kind of gospel/R&B). This reminded me of the old Delfonics style. But mostly...just great Blues! "Enough" features some great guitar. 'Don't Give me Another Reason' contains some good Blues lyrics..."If I ever lose a good thing, it won't be because of losing you. "  Other great blues tunes include 'Scratch,' ' Keep the Blues Alive' and 'Honeybee."  You can't pass this CD up- Go get it!
 
~ Don Vecchio