INTERVIEW WITH KENNY WAYNE SHEPHERD

After two weeks of missing each other, I finally got through to Kenny Wayne Shepherd for an interview. It was thanks to his wonderful publicist, Jonnye Weber and I trying to get times settled. It was a short, interrupted interview, but We got most of what we wanted in.


If you haven't seen or heard "10 Days Out," the music and story are fantastic! Kenny visits blues legends and plays in their kitchens/small clubs. All these people are 75-95 years old. There are some great stories and music... a must for all blues lovers.

DON V. -  Hi, Kenny, thanks for taking the time to talk .
KENNY - Oh, you're welcome. Please hang on, I'm stuck trying to check out here.
DV: (LAUGHING) . OK Kenny , take your time and let me know when you're set.
KWS: OK, I'm ready.

DV: First, let me say we're thrilled to have you back in Pittsburgh. I've seen you every few years going back to when you were 18. You seem to add something each time.
KWS: Thanks, I enjoy playing there. People seem to enjoy my music there.

DV: You started your career at 16 and recorded your first CD at 17 as a senior in High School. Do you think you missed out on having a 'regular teen life?' Just having fun with friends, No cares ?

KWS: No way, it was an incredible experience. I'm sure many kids would've changed places with me. Touring the world as a teen was just amazing! If I had a choice, I'd do it all over again the same way.

DV: Your newest CD/DVD,  "10 Days Out," features quite a few blues legends. Is there one that you can say thrilled you the most to play with?

KWS: Oh, wow! There were so many it's hard to pick one. Of course, B.B King has been like a father to me and Hubert Sumlin, who I played with for the first time, became like a father, also. The one that knocked me out the most was Etta Baker, though. She was 90, and hadn't played guitar in quite a while. She picked it up and 'took me to school.' If you never heard her, she plays guitar like a ragtime piano.

DV: Ok, I haven't seen the DVD yet, but I have to now. Also on the DVD /CD is Bryan Lee. Wasn't your first appearance on stage with Bryan?

KWS: Oh, Yes. I was 13 and he gave me a chance. I love Bryan and I think he never got the credit he deserves as a musician.

DV: Fender introduced the "Kenny Wayne" Stratocaster last year. Congrats!  You helped design it, didn't you?

KWS: Yes, it was quite an honor for me. It took three years to complete. I feel privileged to be in the same company as Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan .

DV: The sales are doing extremely well, aren't they?

KWS: Yes, they're backordered constantly.

DV: I know the 'strat' is your first love, and most know you for your guitar playing. However, I have to say I love the tunes you play on the Dobro. In particular, "Was" and "Every time it Rains." I crank them up every time they come on. When did you begin playing Dobro? Do you enjoy it?

KWS: I started playing Dobro a few years after guitar, and I love how it sounds. Those 2 songs especially, I thought were meant for Dobro. I'm by no means a great slide player. Derek Trucks is about the best around today. He's incredible to watch.

DV: Kenny, you have a pretty unique sound, I can usually pick out your songs in a few notes. Who were your early influences?

KWS: Well, there were many, but mainly Stevie Ray Vaughan and  Jimi Hendrix. I met Stevie Ray when I was 7 years old, and decided that I was going to be a guitarist right then! So, I'd have to say Stevie Ray was my main influence.

DV: I hear you have a love for muscle cars? You do a tour with them?

KWS: Oh, yes! That's where we're heading now. A long stretch and I'm bringing my '69 Charger.

DV: Kenny, we're  always looking for something new from you. Any new CDs on the way.

KWS: Yes, thank you. Let everyone know  I have two CDs coming out this year. If you liked '10 Days Out,' you'll like the next one. It's a live CD with many of the artists I played with on the '10 Days Out' project.
Then later this year, around Christmas, we're putting out our next studio CD.

DV: Two CDs! That's a lot to look forward to from you. Can't wait to hear them and can't wait to see you again! See you in July. Thanks again.



~ Don Vecchio