CURTIS SALGADO: LIVING LIFE IN EXTRAORDINARY WAYS

Curtis Salgado, known for his powerful blues vocals and fine harp playing, was the recipient of a liver transplant in recent years. His story is intense and the results are amazing. I knew that I needed to learn more. Curtis's early career included: six years with the then "up and coming" guitarist, Robert Cray; fronting Roomful of Blues in 1984-1986; working with the Stilettos and touring with Steve Miller and The Doobie Brothers; and was lead vocalist with Santana in the 1990's.  In 1979, John Belushi was filming Animal House in Curtis's home town, Eugene, Oregon. Belushi credited Curtis with schooling him on the blues. The Blues Brothers act that Belushi and Dan Akroyd put together was based on Curtis's show. Their first album was dedicated to Curtis.

A simple phone call to the west coast and a few hours later, I felt that Curtis Salgado and I were old friends.  Sleepily, Curtis had answered the phone. He soon came to life and the interview was in "super charged" mode. His voice was warm and engaging. He was very thoughtful on many answers.  We traded many stories...(sorry, I can't divulge many of them). He was very engaging, hearty and earnest with his answers.


Jonnye: Was the Blues Brothers phenomena the "breaking out" point in your career? Did the Blues Brothers open doors or has it held you back?
Curtis: (laughing huskily) If nothing else, it's a "great story." (Seriously) I am proud that the Blues Brothers Album was dedicated to me. It did get my name out there early on. I did not know Belushi or who he was. I finally realized that it was Dan Akroid who tried to get Belushi into the blues. Don Akroyd's muse in the blues was the Downchild Blues Band in Toronto, Canada. I became Belushi's muse. (Earnestly) I have always championed to have people know the history of blues.  I am "into people knowing where the music comes from." I helped Belushi to learn about the T-Bone Walkers and the Lonnie Johnsons among the many others who formed the roots of the blues. I am grateful that I was in the right place. My role was a crucial part in the resurgence of blues...it created a much needed interest in this country....No doubt about it.

J: I loved your song, "Too Loose."  You talked about losing you liver, losing your mind. There was a lot of living behind those
words.  Was that a turning point in your life? Was this a cleansing for you or was this your way of relating to others about your chosen path?
C:  (Seriously and quietly) I have been sober for 21 years. I was raised in the hip, party town of Eugene, Oregon during the 1950's and 1960's.  It was artsy and had lots of music. I listened to the first generation of blues players that came to town while the folk music era was coming to life. (thoughtfully, he added) ...Son House, Otis Rush, Mississippi Fred McDowell, BB King). (emphatically) It was the times. Nobody knew what the results of those times would be.

J: How do you cope with "life, reality and mortality coming at you full force"?
C: Frankly, I do not think about it. I do know that the "older I get, the older I want to get." I was given six months with little chance of getting a liver. My girl friend, the community and my friends got me through. When I first was diagnosed, I stood up and walked around. A sudden boost of energy overtook me. I then decided that I was going to pick myself up and go kicking and screaming.  I called people and the ball started rolling. I went between tests at the hospital and going on stage.

J:  Many musicians and many in your community helped you when you were medically and financially challenged. How do you give back?
C: I have been giving talks to kids since I first got sober. I have talked at all levels of schools for drugs and alcohol abuse. (very seriously and with a deep sigh) The message: the consequences outweigh the pay off. I am their "direct link" with living fast. What you do as a young person comes back to you in later years. ....like getting a liver transplant...it all figures. Wow! These are great questions. I have done benefits for the Children's Cancer Hospital for many years. I still do drug talks but now I also talk at liver and cancer symposiums (Colorado, Chicago, Dallas).  A doctor found me on the internet. I took a guitar player along to a meeting, played the blues and simply talked about my situation. That concept has "snowballed." I keep getting calls to talk about my medical journey.

J:  What was your most memorable moment musically?
C: (Laughing) I have many. Hmmm. Hands down...Clifton Chenier when he stayed at my apartment in the 1970's.  Great Zydeco. His blues were powerful and funky. His records do not do him justice. When he played, he "made me pee my pants." He was that good... Clifton and his Creole road manager, Davis Petrie, cooked me gumbo and red beans and rice.

J:
Anything you want to tell the readers?
C: (Boisterously) I really like what I do. I do what I know...sing, play harp and try to write good songs. I am "old school."  I am rich in friends and blessed in the eyes of God. It is overwhelming. I still pinch myself. In my eyes, I have won the Grammy of life with my fight to survive and the way people fought for me. (quickly he added) I had a good time playing at the Pittsburgh Blues Festival. Tell Moondog that I wear his shirt, "Please feed the hungry." Again, great interview and great questions!
Good night, Curtis.

~Jonnye Weber