CD REVIEW - Anna Popovic …. Blind for Love

I suppose I should start this out with a disclaimer:  I can't possibly do an unbiased review of Ana Popovic.....I'm in love with the woman.  And I'm not ashamed to admit it.  When I saw her at Moondog's last year, I made a point of sitting at the far end of the bar, just in case I lost control and tried to storm the stage.  ("Somebody stop me!!!")

Aside from being flat out gorgeous, she's a world class guitar player, mesmerizing performer, gifted song writer, and an absolute angel to meet in person.  And that accent.....damn.....

OK, so while it may be tough for me to be unbiased, that doesn't mean that any praise I may heap on her is unwarranted.  You can see for yourself on her web site, where there are clips of each of the songs on her latest CD, "Blind for Love":
http://www.anapopovic.com

The album starts out with Nothing Personal, an upbeat groove about falling for someone that doesn't realize it.  Like most of what she writes, the lyrics are passionate, sexy, and honest.  "Excuse me, while I spend another hour with you.  Don't get me wrong, I just wanna breathe the air you do."  Lucky bastid.....    

Wrong Woman is a real sweet rocker that portrays what must be a never ending ordeal for Ana.....gettin' hit on by guys that think they're God's gift.  In no uncertain terms, she cuts Romeo off at the knees.  The lyrics of all the tunes, btw, are included in the liner notes.  It's nice to be able to pull them out and check something you're not sure of.  It's also a good excuse to look over the gorgeous pictures of her.....again.

The third cut is a funky little slide thang called Steal Me Away that shows just how versatile she is on guitar, and that she's got the chops to do justice to the blues.  Ana ain't just a pretty face.....her talents are many.  A quick glance at the credits shows that she's a hands-on musician when it comes to the nuts and bolts of production, and even in the look of the CD.  Her passion for graphic design, which she studied before her musical talents demanded all her time, is quite evident in the look and feel of her web site.  Her biography on there is well worth checking out.

The title cut, Blind for Love, slows things down into a nice and comfy piece of smooth jazz, and keeps the vibe rollin' with More Real.....beautifully arranged, and sexy as hell.  Again, the lyrics aren't just a means to an end, as in something to fill up a CD and get it in print, but are a glimpse of her soul.  The girl can write.....

Putting Out the APB picks up the pace with a finger popper that showcases Ana's outstanding slide work, yet again, and Get Back Home to You continues in the same vein.  But then, as if she doesn't want to be pigeon-holed as a blues rocker, she turns Dave Brubeck-esque with The Only Reason.....sweet as honeysuckle in full bloom.....

Next up is somethin' pretty special.  Part of Me (Lullaby for Luuk) was written for her son, who was born in May of last year.  I saw her a couple of months after he was born, and wouldn't have believed that she had just had a baby.  But after graciously spending quite a while talking with me, and promising to contact a friend of mine to be interviewed for his thesis on graphic design, she apologized and said that she had to get back to the hotel to feed her baby.....talk about a full schedule!  Very impressive woman.

Blind For LoveLives That Don't Exist gets down and damn funky, complete with horns, and Ana once again does a masterful job of crafting her words to shed a little light on the rigors of fame.  Like I said earlier, her lyrics are a glimpse of her soul.....like you've been granted a peek in her diary.  Passionate, sexy, and honest.....

Need Your Love is a fantasy waiting to happen.....back you up against the wall kinda deal.  I think that's about all I should say about that.....it's gettin' a little warm up in here.....  

Finishing up beautifully is Blues for M, a smoky little blues thang that I can't seem to quit playin'.  Powerful guitar in sensitive hands, the voice of an angel, and absolutely stunning lyrics.....so good, they're spooky.  Damn baby.....

If I were a bettin' man, I'd put good money on Ana havin' "Real Deal" tattooed on herself somewhere.  And if she doesn't.....she should.


~James Bartilson